Thursday, June 3, 2010

Graduates

Since May is the time for graduations, it seems appropriate that Rachel graduated to panties this May! All I can say is that we are so thrilled that her potty-training happened so EASILY and so QUICKLY. I tried potty-training her about four months ago, and I was so frustrated and stressed. I'm glad I followed my gut instinct, waited a few more months, and then tried again last month (even though she's two-and-three-quarters.)

This time it was a piece of cake! We went straight to panties all day. No potty parties. No timers. She was simply ready. I never felt stressed about the process, and she hardly had any accidents! She was peeing like a pro by the end of the first day, and pooping in the potty every time within a few days. I'm still impressed with those of you who are able to potty-train your kids right at age two, but this was definitely the right approach for me and my sanity. Rachel is very proud of her new accomplishment, and we're proud of her, too. I did read a few potty-training books that were somewhat helpful, but I think our little potty program was a sampling of things I'd learned from others as well as bits and pieces of the books. (Feel free to see the bookshelf on my sidebar, if you're interested in any of the book titles.)

Also, my lovely and talented little sister graduated from high school in May! I was able to make a quick trip to Utah to watch her commencement. We're so impressed with all that she's done in the last eighteeen years. She's an awesome debater, is musically gifted, gets good grades...you get the picture. We look forward to seeing what she does in the future. Yay, Steph! It was crazy for me to think that I graduated from the same high school ten years ago. Yikes!

10 comments:

ParkerandKatieDavis said...

Thats awesome about Rachel getting potty trained...Mason just graduated from diapers this month too! Isn't it wonderful! I agree with waiting, its totally easier! Congrats to Stephanie!

Preston and Keri said...

Wow! Way to go Rachel! We've been debating weather to start with Bry or not but she seriously has NO interest what so ever! We even bought her a little potty but she's scared to leave anything behind in it! =)
I truly believe that THEY have to be ready or it will NEVER work!

The Bunker Family said...

Great job to both of you for helping Rachel graduate to the potty - it's a huge step!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

I'm truly jealous about your potty training experience...I waited until about then with Caden (because I tried before and it was so miserable I quit!) and it was still *quite* the process!! He was trained within two days, but it was H-E-double hockey sticks in the process...so CONGRATS to Rachel for not giving her mom any gray hairs!!! (c:

Bryan and Sarah said...

Great job on potty-training Rachel. I'm in no hurry to get Jessie potty-trained. I want her to be ready too! Do you have any advice?

Erin said...

We were at the same graduation at the same time. I'm sad we didn't see each other. Tell Stephanie congratulations. I can't believe we graduated 10 years ago either! We're old. :)

Katy said...

Yay for Rachel(and you)! Having a potty trained kid is great...except for on trip! ;) Glad that process went well for you.

Kellie Henry said...

Yay for being done with diapers!!! Congrats to your beautiful sister on graduating!! Love you guys!

M said...

Hooray for potty training! I can't wait until Sam is at that stage, but I feel like he has a ways to go. I'm glad that everything went so smoothly! (And think of all the money that you will save by not purchasing diapers! Yay!)

Our Family said...

Yay! Rachel does look very proud of her accomplishment. As for no stress... man it's worth the wait if it goes that smoothly... I'll cross my fingers!